Westchester Medical Center MEDICAL SECRETARY in PORT JERVIS, New York
The is responsible for supporting licensed practitioners in delivering high quality medical care to all patients. This position is accountable for efficient patient care flow as well as non-clinical office functions.
- Assists patients in the checking in/checking out process and completing necessary paperwork.
- Educates patients in post care instructions and their healthcare coverage responsibilities.
- Scans medical insurance information and obtains authorizations from insurance carriers for medications or make up referrals to specialists as needed.
- Scans lab reports, consultations, office notes, and messages for placement in appropriate charts.
- Pulls charts for licensed practitioner or front desk staff as needed and files completed charts appropriately.
- Forwards records to BSCH or other parties as directed.
- Assists physician in obtaining patient results and scheduling office appointments when needed.
- Maintains inventory of medical supplies, immunizations, and equipment in order to request supplies in a timely manner.
- Performs routine maintenance of medical equipment including logging daily temperatures of the refrigerator/freezer.
- Logs all samples received with expiration dates, manufacturers, and lot numbers.
- Records all distributed samples by patient name, date, and number of samples given.
- Checks expiration dates on all stored medications/immunizations on a weekly basis and keeps record of all expired items that are discarded.
- Records all injections and immunizations in medication log as well as patient chart.
- Performs all functions as necessary for the successful implementation of the NYS Immunization transmissions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
*Experience: *3 years working in a front office/secretary experience. Medical Assistant experience preferred.
*Education: *High School graduate or equivalent.
*Licenses / Certifications: *MA or Order Entry certificate preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.