New York Institute of Technology Senior HR Specialist in Old Westbury, New York
NYIT (New York Institute of Technology) offers 90 degree programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees, in more than 50 fields of study, including architecture and design; arts and sciences; education; engineering and computing sciences; health professions; management; and osteopathic medicine. A non-profit independent, private institution of higher education, NYIT has 9,000 students at campuses in New York City (Manhattan) and Long Island (Old Westbury) in New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; Vancouver, British Columbia; and in various programs around the world. NYIT sponsors 13 NCAA Division II programs.
NYIT is guided by its mission to provide career-oriented professional education, offer access to opportunity to all qualified students, and support research and scholarship that benefit the larger world. More than 100,000 graduates have received degrees from NYIT. For more information, visit nyit.edu.
We Hire Great People
At NYIT, we are in the midst of a revolution. We ve taken a long hard look at where we ve been, where we are, and where we want to go. When it comes to bringing about change, our strategy is simple we hire great people and encourage them to make their dreams and those of our students a reality.
We value hard work and creativity and believe the best results occur when talented people from diverse backgrounds work together. The varied perspectives, ideas, and cultures represented in our faculty and staff members are integral to NYIT s success and the success of our students.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Human Resources and working alongside a Benefits Manager the Senior HR Specialist will be based at the NYIT Long Island Campus and will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of all benefits and wellness programs (domestic and global).
* Support the Benefits Manager with all benefit related inquiries for employees and retirees, investigate issues, recommend solutions and provide excellent customer service to over 1,000 benefit eligible employees.
* Review and strategize with Benefits Manager on streamlining and automating Benefits enrollment.
* Research, analyze and implement a benefits enrollment management system that provides for self service access, enrollment and management.
* Strategize with information technology and HRIS on how to utilize existing HR software to build a robust benefits enrollment system.
* In conjunction with the Benefits Manager process all family medical leave requests, personal leave of absences, tuition remission requests, and workers compensation claims and leaves associated with those claims. Handle and process COBRA for separated employees.
* Administer, interpret and manage regulations surrounding Paid Family Leave (PFL)
* Work with insurance carriers to identify concerns, clarify benefits and communicate with employees and retirees.
* Partner with institution leaders and Assistant Director of Training to ensure all eligible new hires attend a robust new hire benefits orientation.
* Actively participate in institutional committees and projects that will further develop the Human Resources department and that might identify needs in all benefit programs.
* With direction from the Benefits Manager create and manage content for various benefit communications including: website publications, employee intranet modifications, enhancements and updates, benefit summaries, plan descriptions to ensure employees have knowledge of all benefits information. Work closely with the Strategic Communication and External Affairs division to ensure Human Resources Benefits adheres to branding and design guidelines in all communications.
* Responsible for organizing and managing yearly open enrollment. Work with the Benefits Manager to develop new ways to present enrollment using video conferencing, webinars, and various technological resources.
* Work alongside Executive Director during contract negotiations for union workforce
* Handle employee relations issues as needed, work with managers on progressive discipline, performance management, coaching and counseling.
* Ensure compliance with ERISA, FMLA, ACA and other regulations
* Special projects and other duties as assigned. Must be willing to travel between Long Island campus and New York City campus on occasion.
* Organizational, communication and presentation skills.
* Ability to work in a teamwork capacity.
* Ability to work with and communicate ideas to leadership
* Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
Required Education And Experience
* Bachelor s degree in human resources, industrial organizational psychology or related field. Master s Degree preferred. HRCI/SHRM/CEBS certification a plus.
* 3-5 years Human Resources Benefits experience; prior experience in higher education preferred but not required.
* Prior experience with implementing an automated benefits enrollment system
* Experience with Oracle, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint),
* Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as the ability to present conceptual as well as technical information.
Please submit cover letter & resume for consideration
NYIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Employer's Job# 2019-1733
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.