The Jewish Board Per Diem Milieu Counselor in New York, New York
The Milieu Counselor works with children or adolescents in a residential treatment setting and is responsible for ensure that those portions of the treatment plan which deal with day to deal and independent living skills are implemented. Acting as a positive role model and providing theraoeutic parenting, the Milieu Counselor is charged with the fundamental responsibility of the client’s health and safety.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but not limited to:
* Responsible for day-to-day care of the children in the program including helping consumers to maintain their personal hygiene, social guidance, use of leisure time, and food planning and preparation.
* Develop, supervise and run activity sessions.
* Accompany clients on trips and outing and supervise activities.
* May be called upon to work one on one with a client who is displaying significant stress or ass ist with management issues as they relate to clients.
* If required, perform therapeutic hold should a child be out of control. All employees are required to attend appropriate training prior to performing such a therapeutic hold.
* Drive the child to medical, or social or other necessary appointments or assist in returning clients to the campus who are AWOL.
* Shares their experience and observation of the children under care with the treatment team and immediately brings to the attention of the supervisor any unusual issues
* May be required to cook/prepare meals for residents within their cottage or division.
* Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma is required. Some work experience with a similar population in a residential settin. A Driver’s License is required to meet all auto insurance liability requirements.