Nature America, Inc Associate or Senior Editor - Communications Physics in New York, New York
Springer Nature is one of the worlds leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13, 000 staff in over 50 countries.
Associate or Senior Editor-Communications Physics
New York, London or Berlin
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
We are currently seeking an Associate/Senior Editor to join our team at Communications Physics, a new multidisciplinary open access physics journal. The journal complements our existing Nature Research open access titles, Nature CommunicationsandScientific Reports.
The Associate/Senior Editor role is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isnt enough to sate their desire to learn in a more creative and dynamic environment.
The successful candidate will play an important role in:
- Determining the representation of their field in the journal
- Suggesting and creating content for the journal, website and social media
- Commissioning and supplying editorial content
- Ensuring quality and speed of peer review
- Committing fully to excellence in communicating with authors
- Engaging in outreach to support business requirements
- Collaborating with other team members for any other tasks as required
The ideal candidate should have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in physics. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential
- A genuine passion for physicsand the ability to use it creatively to innovate and improve current practices and products
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken)
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish
- An interest in social media
- This role is located in either our New York, London or Berlin offices. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the location they are applying for. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
- Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor position
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with a theoretical background and expertise in one of the following broad areas: Atomic and Molecular Physics, Complex Systems, or Quantum Physics; but welcome outstanding candidates in all areas of physics.
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (< 400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments that you found particularly exciting (stating why).Closing date: January 4th 2019, but candidates will be considered as they apply.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity