Columbia University Associate Director in New York, New York
Job TitleAssociate Director
Job Code Title
Job Requisition Number 095590
Department 2209- CTL Ctr for Teach & Lrng
Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular
If temporary, indicate duration
Hours Per Week
Job Family Education and Training
Salary Grade 14
Salary Range Commensurate with experience
Advertised Summary Job Description Columbia's Center for Teaching and Learning is now accepting applications for Associate Director in its Faculty Programs and Services group.
Reporting to the Director of Faculty Programs and Services, the Associate Director will:
1) Design and implement new programs in professional development in pedagogy and effective teaching and learning practices for faculty, postdoctoral researchers, adjuncts, and other instructors at Columbia University. Establish working relationships with these populations through the development of new faculty orientations, institutes, workshops, and other programming informed by the scholarship of educational development. Initiate learning communities and other cohort-building experiences centered in the CTL.
2) Design and disseminate instructional resources. Identify and promote pedagogical methods appropriate to specific disciplinary settings and a diverse student body. Author curricula tailored to targeted faculty populations for learning communities, seminars and institutes in teaching and learning, as well as online materials such as teaching guides, blogs and other social media posts. Design and grow new consultation, classroom observation, and other teaching support services for faculty; support teaching portfolios and programming customized to subject area domains of faculty teaching at Columbia.
3) Recruit, supervise, and mentor staff. Co-facilitate workshops and co-design new initiatives, assigning work as suitable for each assistant director. Support their growth in new areas of expertise.
4) Keep abreast of research, trends, and innovations in teaching and learning as applied to classroom and online learning environments, through appropriate publication channels and collaborations beyond the university. Consult and collaborate with learning designers and CTL communications staff on projects and initiatives that integrate best pedagogical practices.
5) Contribute to strategic planning for the Center for Teaching and Learning, identify and form partnerships on campus to address new needs and opportunities for teaching support, integrate best practices and resources available beyond Columbia into the work of the CTL, and represent the CTL's work at briefings, campus visits, conferences, and other academic venues.
6) Working closely with the Associate Director for Assessment and Evaluation, recommend development of CTL programs and services that is based on ongoing assessment of faculty and student learning, and other evidence of impact.
Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of related experience required.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant -University teaching experience and well-developed teaching, research, and assessment skills.
Current knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in teaching and learning.
Experience in applying research to curricular innovations and faculty development.
-Strong communication skills and service-oriented approach to individuals at all levels and across disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with administrators, academic units, faculty, graduate students, and staff.
-Excellent organizational, analytical, and program development skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and provide high quality, timely support. Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the academic environment.
Preferred Qualifications - Doctorate in an academic discipline
Experience as a faculty member in an academic program
Experience implementing programs and services in a Teaching and Learning Center
Contribution to scholarship in discipline or in teaching and learning
Working knowledge of program assessment and evaluation
Additional Essential Functions (Limit to 3950 characters.)
This position works with: There are no special indications for this position
HIPAA Compliance training required No
Participation in Medical Surveillance required No
What type of posting? Is this a waiver request? Standard Posting
Requisition Open Date 11-09-2018
Requisition Close Date Open Until Filled
Quick Link jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=173068
EEO Statement Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Local Hiring Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
This organization is a federal contractor subject to the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, 38 U.S.C. 4212 (VEVRAA). The final rules now require contractors and subcontractors to invite applicants to self-identify as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities.
You can update your demographic information by logging in and clicking on "EDIT APPLICATION".
The information is being requested on a voluntary basis, and will be kept confidential. Refusal to provide this information will not subject the applicant to any adverse treatment, and will not be used in a manner inconsistent with the act.