BioReference Laboratories Medical Technologist (FT, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm) in MINEOLA, New York
This is an exciting time to join our dynamic organization. OPKO Health is a diversified healthcare company that seeks to establish industry-leading positions in large, rapidly growing markets, including pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, and biologics. OPKO's diagnostics business includes BioReference Laboratories, the nation's third-largest and fastest growing clinical laboratory over the last 35 years, which provides diagnostic testing to physician offices, hospitals, and clinics, among others, and GeneDx, a rapidly growing genetics and genomics laboratory that applies cutting edge technologies to make efficient clinical diagnostic testing and interpretation available for individuals with rare and common genetic conditions. Come join our team and become part of something big, by making our patients and customers the highest priority.
We are looking for a Medical Technologist (40 hours per week) in our Mineola, NY location.
Schedule:Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5pm
The Medical Technologist will perform all necessary laboratory testing in the detection, diagnosis, and prognosis of disease. The Medical Laboratory Technologist will work collaboratively with the laboratory team to provide testing services to the clients. Additional tasks can be assigned at the discretion of the Supervisor/Manager/Director.
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Follows written lab procedures for the correct handling and processing of specimens. Performs lab procedures of moderate and high complexity in accordance with standards set forth in sectional laboratory procedures.
- Maintains an up to date working knowledge of all technical procedures in the department and operations of all instrumentation. Reviews all pertinent SOPMs. Manipulate and operate simple and complex laboratory equipment including computers; may perform maintenance and limited tear down and replacement of parts of laboratory equipment; problem-solve equipment malfunctions.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new employees. Participates in the training of technical staff and monitors their progress with supervisor. Serves as a resource to peers and other personnel.
- Performs quality control procedures established for each method and maintains accurate records. Reviews and analyzes quality control data, identifies QC trends or problems, makes judgments and takes appropriate corrective action. Prior to releasing any test results. (If applicable)
- Operates laboratory instruments and performs routine maintenance & procedural calibrations. Diagnoses, troubleshoots and documents all lab instrument and / or reagent problems. Performs preventative and corrective maintenance/repairs and maintains records of actions. Contacts technical services representatives when necessary to resolve problems.
- Reviews accuracy and completeness of results prior to releasing in the Laboratory Information System (if applicable). Recognizes unexpected or unreasonable results and/or testing delays.
- Follows protocols for acceptance/rejection of patient results.
- Locating and transporting specimens as per company standards and protocols.
- Completes routine and STAT testing within acceptable turn-around time guidelines.
- Reviews Pending Logs, researches and resolves missing specimen issues. If unable to resolve issue, then the issue must be given to someone on the next shift to continue the process to resolve. If no resolution can be found, the supervisor should be notified.
- Participates in the evaluation and development of new procedures, methods and instruments.
- Reading manual differentials.
- Bachelor degree in medical technology, chemistry, biology, or related life science
- NYS Medical Technologist License. Required
- 1 or more years of CLIA work experience as a Medical Technologist. Required
- Must be able to read differentials.
- ASCP or other national certification a plus.
- Medium work of lifting up to 50 pounds and/or carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Responsible for lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects.
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Req Number: BRL-20-8205
Location: MINEOLA , NY 11501