National Grid Energy Efficiency Senior Technical Specialist in Brooklyn, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Technical Specialist for our New York Customer Energy Management (CEM) department in Brooklyn, NY.
The Energy Efficiency Senior Technical Specialist provides the technical guidance and leadership necessary to support the design and development of new product and service offerings in the areas of energy efficiency, demand response and decarbonization of heat efforts in the residential, commercial, industrial, and low/moderate income customer segments. The Technical Specialist will be a member of the Customer Energy Management (CEM) New York’s Growth Team. Technical Specialists will be specifically charged with identifying and providing visibility into relevant emerging technology trends and opportunities, improving new and existing customer offers through the application of emerging technologies, and with identifying and validating the technical and customer perspective aspects of novel approaches to helping customers to achieve energy management goals, as well as providing technical leadership in using demand side management programs to address electric & gas supply system needs.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Provides technical guidance, input and validation into the development of new Customer Energy Management product offerings and capabilities, with a focus on using demand side management programs to address electric & natural gas supply system needs
• Actively monitors the external product and technology landscape in specified technical domains with an eye towards the early identification or promising technologies, approaches and partners. Provides consistent, proactive updates and reports to CEM Product Owners and CEM leadership on relevant technical developments and their application to meeting identified market needs and gaps in existing product offerings
• Generates a pipeline of external promising technologies and technical developments, including proactive engagement with external market participants and influencers around ensuring external market awareness of National Grid priority areas for development and innovation.
• Supports product developers and product owners in the identification and development of external relationships and partnerships necessary to drive external market development of innovative customer offerings
• Supports the Customer Energy Management strategy, policy and planning function in engaging external stakeholders in the product innovation and development process, including solicitation of new concepts and the evaluation and validation of suggested approaches through existing and to be developed evaluation frameworks.
• Supports product developers in the execution of prioritized pilots and demonstrations, with a specific focus on validating technical aspects of emerging product offerings and the evaluation of product viability from a technical and customer use-case perspective
• Works closely with complementary Evaluation, Measurement and Verification (EM&V) functions (both internal and external) as well as with National Grid’ Innovation Center of Excellence (COE) on the evaluation and application of specific emerging technologies to identified priority areas for product offering innovation
• Monitor changes to the NY State Technical Resource Manual; and participate in and/or provide feedback to the TRM Management Committee to align measure additions, or revisions to existing measures in the TRM with CEM’s new product development initiatives and offerings.
• Supports CEM Growth manager as necessary in working with internal and external partners and stakeholders to communicate prioritized areas of need, evaluate inbound technology offers/requests for fit with product lifecycle needs and requirements.
• Provides status updates, metrics and reporting necessary to support CEM Growth and Development Manager in evaluating the health of overall product innovation portfolio
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
• A Bachelor's degree in a basic science, technical, or engineering related area and up to 5 years of related experience, or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree/credits are preferred.
• Knowledge of the electric and gas industry; energy efficiency program planning, design, implementation and evaluation; local and national energy policy.
• Knowledge of building systems, equipment, and controls for residential, commercial, and industrial customers; and associated energy conservation measures. (i.e. HVAC, lighting, compressed air, insulation, etc.)
• Experience defining assumptions, estimating cost, and performing calculations to measure savings from energy conservation and demand management measures.
• Working knowledge of product management / product lifecycle management best practices and industry standard approaches
• Working knowledge of and extensive experience with industry standard project management tools and methodologies
• Experience with identifying external partnership opportunities and developing and executing on mutually beneficial partnership arrangements with external market participants, including technology providers and consultancies
• Knowledge of relevant industry practice and legislation.
• Familiarity with demand side management as a tool in reducing natural gas and electric demand in buildings during peak system hours.
• Familiarity with the NY State Technical Resource Manual or other jurisdiction’s standard approach for estimating energy efficiency savings.
• Familiarity with industry standard for assessing cost-effectiveness of energy efficiency resources (benefit-cost analysis)
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Takes personal responsibility for correcting problems related to energy efficiency, demand management and climate change promptly and communicates customer expectations to monitor delivery and satisfaction.
• After analyzing data, has the ability to see multiple relationships, identifying several likely causes or consequences of energy efficiency program results.
• Demonstrated commitment to and passion for identifying and evaluating emerging technologies in specified technical sub-domains
• Sees patterns or trends in energy efficiency, demand management, and climate change data, noticing when something is similar to the past and applying previous learning to current situation.
• Establishes the facts by digging deeper, asking probing questions and challenging initial responses from different sources within the customer energy efficiency area.
• Promotes team effectiveness by soliciting input from team members, communicating expectations of the team and delegating responsibilities while providing support and structure.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.